Sometimes, through no fault of our own, whether it be our teeth have grown in improperly, a severe accident has wounded them, or they have failed to even break the surface skin, our teeth sometimes must be removed. Thanks to advances in modern technology, it is not a life altering experience, and in many cases leaves the user in much better position in terms of oral health and fitness. However, if an extraction is necessary, it is important to get some reminders on how to properly heal:
– If necessary, take any pain medications or antibiotics prescribed by your dentist, exactly as instructed.
– If swelling occurs, apply ice packs.
– Follow the strict diet as given by your dentist.
– Rest heavily, and try to avoid exercise
– To avoid choking, wait until the anesthetic wears off before eating.
– Follow your dentist’s advice and instructions.
– Stop smoking, or give it up at least 48 hours before and after surgery.
Follow these steps, and you will be on the road to recovery.
Consult your dentist if you experience:
– An ongoing fever that won’t go away
– Heavy pain that lasts three to four days post-surgery
– Ongoing bleeding that won’t stop
– An increase in swelling
If a tooth is causing you discomfort, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. Please call LeJeune Family Dentistry at (757) 827-9114 to talk to a member of our team. Call us today, or stop by our office in Hampton, Virginia, and we will help you in any way we can. We look forward to hearing from you soon!