Are you protecting your smile with oral cancer screenings? This year in America alone, over 42,000 people will be diagnosed and treated for the disease. As with all cancers, the best chance of recovery often depends on early detection.
Listed below are a few of the most commonly found symptoms of oral cancer:
– Check for visible abnormalities in your mouth, including eroded areas, patches, rough spots, lumps, and bumps, as well as for sores and lesions that do not heal after 2 weeks.
– Look for stained patches in your mouth, typically ones that are white and red.
– Look for symptoms of unexplained bleeding that is not easily stopped.
– Check for symptoms of numbness or loss of feeling in the head, face, and neck areas.
– Check for a persistent sore throat or the feeling of a lump in the back of your throat, as well as errors chewing, speaking, eating, and swallowing.
– Expedited weight loss that is not easily explained could be a sign of cancer.
If you notice any habits or foods that are putting your oral health at risk, take the steps to protect your teeth immediately. For additional help, Dr. Barry LeJeune and our team at Barry LeJeune, DDS are here to give you the smile you need. If you would like to schedule an oral cancer screening, come see us at our dentist office in Hampton, Virginia, and contact us at (757) 827-9114 to speak with a member of our team.